As part of the project, 6 Ukrainian think tanks, including the Agency for Legislative Initiatives, joined the Consortium.
The Consortium will provide government officials and parliamentarians with the necessary expertise and communication support in addressing current policy challenges in line with European best practices of good governance.
The Project aims to increase the capacity of the key decision-makers (the Cabinet of Ministers and the Verkhovna Rada) to maintain, adapt and develop policies for further advancing democracy, the rule of law, and sustainable economic development, in the light of war-affected challenges and promotion of Ukraine’s application for membership in the European Union.
There are six specific objectives of the Action:
- Respective decision-makers (Ministry of Social Policy, Ministry of Reintegration, Ministry of Regional Policy, Office of the Vice-Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic Integration, Working group on protection of rights and freedoms of citizens of Ukraine who are in the territory of EU member states and other states as temporarily displaced persons) and society are provided with information to develop and implement high-quality policy to return Ukrainian refugees home;
- The practices and procedures for making decisions and developing reforms are more approximated to the EU standards of good governance (at the level of the Cabinet of Ministers and the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine)
- The target decision-makers are equipped with a strategic framework for overcoming the war, post-war and other barriers for accessing justice and strengthening institutional capacity for judicial protection of fundamental rights in accordance with the EU acquis (Chapter 23) being supported by the sectoral CSOs/think tanks in close cooperation with other EU funded initiatives and actors;
- Respective decision-makers and civil society are equipped with strategies for improvement of public procurement policies and anti-corruption infrastructure to respond to war and post-war challenges, and meet the EU acquis (Chapters 5, 23);
- Targeted decision-makers, including VPM for Eurointegration, her Office and the Ministry of Economy, are sufficiently supported by expert CSOs with information, analysis, communication and advocacy for a coherent policy response to the war economy challenges and economy of post-war recovery and rebuilding respecting the EU Acquis (Chapters 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 29, 33);
- Ukrainian society is well-informed about benefits to Ukrainians from the EU-Ukraine rapprochement, requirements for the EU accession and progress of their meeting, which create informed support for the European integration, which will prevent or soften decrease of public support for the European future of Ukraine.
After completion of the project, we expect the start of official negotiations between Ukraine and the EU regarding the approximation of Ukraine to the EU acquis.
Also, we looking forward to the restoration of the functioning of local self-governance throughout Ukraine and key state institutions in the de-occupied territories of Ukraine after the end of martial law.
The project will be implemented by a consortium of well-known Ukrainian NGOs and think tanks:
Agency for Legislative Initiatives is an analytical center with many years of expertise in issues of democratization, parliamentarism, political education and good governance.
Transparency International Ukraine is an accredited representative of the global movement Transparency International, which comprehensively approaches the development and implementation of changes to reduce the level of corruption in Ukraine.
Civil network OPORA is an all-Ukrainian civil society organization of public control and advocacy in the field of elections, parliamentarism, education, management of common property, energy efficiency, local self-government, as well as the comprehensive implementation of the open data principle.
Tomorrow’s Lawyer is an NGO with practical experience in legal and judicial development, justice sector reform.
Centre for Economic Strategy is a non-governmental research centre on economic policy issues.
NGO “European Pravda” (EuroPravda) is an independent Ukrainian media that specializes in covering news related to European issues and the European integration of Ukraine.