A new project on the public assessment of public administration reform was launched by the Agency for Legislative Initiatives in November 2018. The project is going to be implemented by the considerable financial support of the EU and the International Renaissance Foundation in the scope of the project Civic Energy under the auspices of the Ukrainian national platform of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum.
The strengthening of institutional capacities and public administration as a whole is one among top priority topics for the Eastern Partnership. It is enshrined in the paper “20 achievements that are expected by 2020”.
SIGMA has already released the interim report that examines the reform’s pace and its 2016-2018 progress. SIGMA experts have noted a certain progress, but they also highlighted some challenges that are hindering further developments now. The Ukrainian civil society has also joined the reform’s evaluation process. Thus, the Agency for Legislative Initiatives claimed responsibility for conducting the public assessment of public administration reform. This project will be a continuation of two ALI’s reports on related topics.
ALI’s objectives of the project on the public assessment of public administration reform
• To prepare an analytical report with the evaluation of the reform;
• To develop the communication platform for experts and representatives of partner organizations;
• To involve civil society in reform monitoring;
• To develop and share methods of public assessment.
To sum up, the main goal of the project is to strengthen the permanence of the reform in the scope of all European-oriented reforms by conducting the public assessment of the implementation of EU-Ukraine agreements in the field of public administration. This goal coincides with top priorities of the Eastern Partnership.
Planned stages of the project
• Development of the public assessment methodology and the selection of experts;
• Public assessment and the follow-up with an analytical report;
• Presentation and sharing of the results between different actors, for example, international partners, public administration representatives, the VRU committees on euro integration and civil society.
The ALI expects that the public will understand how to influence reforms’ pace while key reforms’ actors will realize how to reinforce the capacity of public administration reform.
The project is planned to be implemented by June 2019.
This publication was produced by the ALI with the support of the European Union and the International Renaissance Foundation within the framework of the Civic Synergy Project and under the auspices of the Ukrainian Side of the EU-Ukraine Civil Society Platform. Its contents are the sole responsibility of the ALI and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union and the International Renaissance Foundation.